Thursday, April 28, 2011

Where Did Runt Come From

     Up until six years ago I had lived in the Twin Cities, (I'm definitely a city girl). Had somebody told me I would be trading my life in the city to life in the country, I never would have believed it. Now here I am, living in the country. The lifestyle change took some getting use to, I actually think I am still adjusting. I definitely miss the constant activity and sounds of the city.
     The quiet here is nice, but sometimes quiet can be too quiet, and that is something else I am still adjusting to. But it is something I am learning to appreciate and it has taught me to pursue things I may not have done at another time.
     I have always been interested in writing, but never dared pursue that path. In the midst of the quietness I was inspired to begin writing and for that I am thankful. Would I have begun writing had I continued my busy 'city' life? Perhaps, but probably not.
     I was born with a very active imagination: Characters and story lines were constantly flowing through my mind. One character would make reoccurring visits, but then disappear for a time. While enjoying long, quiet walks in my new environment, this same character, a tiny puppy, began appearing on a daily basis. When I realized he was here to stay, I figured I had better do something with this little guy.
     I decided I should let this puppy out and give him space to roam free on paper. Thus was the beginning of Runt, and also the beginning of my writing career.
     At the very beginning of our journey together, it was decided between the puppy and myself that he would be called Runt.
     Thus far, I have two published books: the first, aptly titled, 'A Puppy Called Runt', and the sequel titled, 'A New Life for Runt'.
     I frequently am asked the question, "Is the puppy on your book covers your dog and is the story based on your dog?"  The answer is yes and no. Yes the puppy on the covers was once a dog of mine, but no the story is not about him. I used  those particular pictures for the simple reason that they resembled my image of the character that was now running loose on paper.
     Runt and I have been sharing quite an incredible adventure together through our books. A journey that was only possible because I listened to and believed in the little character that had been in my head and heart for so many years.

     So long, I'll see you soon!
   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment