Friday, April 22, 2011

I Now Understand Why

     I didn't mention a word about getting another dog. Why didn't dad want another dog? I knew better than to keep asking him. Growing impatient, I secretly decided to take matters into my own hands. I told no one what I was planning, not even my brother.
     A boy who lived up the street in the old 'Green House', informed me that their dog had puppies and if I wanted one I could have one, for free!  Dad had said dogs were too expensive; this one was free, so he would have to say yes. (Who knew that no puppy is free; sure you may get it for free but it's all the expenses that come later that quickly add up. But how could a kid possibly understand that.)
     I placed a towel in the basket of my bike and pedaled to the 'Green House' to claim my new puppy. After picking out the puppy that was just perfect for me, I placed her in my basket and pedaled on home.
     Mom was standing at the back steps when I came up the driveway and immediately saw what was in my basket. I parked my bike and put my new friend into arms. Mom stood shaking her head as I excitedly said, "Isn't she pretty? She was free and she's all mine." (I still thought 'free' would be the magic word.)
     Still shaking her head, but trying her best to look stern and not laugh, Mom said, "Did you forget that your dad said no more dogs? He's never going to let you keep her. You should bring her back now." Of course my answer was 'no'. In my head I was already plotting how to convince dad.
     When dad came home and saw what I was holding, of course he said no. With tears in my eyes, I begged and pleaded and also promised to do all the cleanup in the yard.
     Can you guess what happened? We named her Tammy and she was in our family for many years. Tammy quickly won dad over and within the first week dad had built Tammy her very own bed.
     After Tammy passed on, dad again said, "No more dogs, ever!" It was obvious that dad loved dogs. So I never could understand whenever we were 'dogless', why dad always said the same thing, "No more dogs."
     When I became older and wiser, the answer became obvious to me, Dad's reasons were just excuses to cover the truth: the pain of losing a dog he cared so much for was too much for him to bear.
     As an adult, having had my dog, Willie for 15 years, I had to make the awful decision of having him put down. The pain I felt at losing my beloved companion was unbearable. I found myself saying that I would never put myself through that pain again. The solution: no more dogs.
     Dad's words echoed in my mind as I was now repeating the same words.
     I now understand why, Dad.

     So long, I'll see you soon!
    


    

No comments:

Post a Comment