Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tick Tock

     Our furry friends quickly learn the daily routines of their beloved two-legger companions. I believe our dogs have an inner clock that senses the time these routines should occur. But can they tell time? Hmm...seems a bit improbable, but how do we know for sure.
     As dog owners we all talk to our dogs, and I am no exception. In fact, I have always talked to my dogs as if I were talking to another human. Whenever I have to leave the house without my dog I say things like: "I have to leave for awhile, but I'll be back later." or "I have to go to work, so I'll see you tonight." or for quick trips, "I'll be right back." I'd be willing to bet we've all said similar words at one time or another. Am I right? Come on, you can admit it.
     Why do we say these words? I know why I do: I truly believe dogs have a sense of time. I've seen evidence of this too many times for it not to be true.
     When I was young two of my friends, Karen and Paulette, each had a dog: Zippy and Charcoal. Everyday when we came home from school, there at our bus stop sat both dogs, waiting eagerly for the school bus doors to open. Like clockwork, the same time everyday.
      My dog, Willie, is another example of the time sense. Willie would follow me around in the morning and as soon as I put the work clothes on he would throw his head back in a very perturbed way and march off to the bedroom. By the clothes I had put on he knew it was going to be a long lonely day. I would arrive back home about 5:00 and there would be Willie sitting at his spot at the window, faithfully waiting to spot my car pulling in the driveway.
     Move ahead now to current time with our dog Whitney. I arrive home around 6:30; at 6:20 Whitney either sits on the couch and watches the driveway or sits at the kitchen door and patiently waits for me. Next month I'll be coming home an hour later, so Whitney's inner clock will need a little readjusting. I'm confident that she'll have it readjusted very quickly.
     These are just a few examples, but do you see the pattern? Dogs do indeed have a sense of time. So here's the question again: can they actually tell time? Now, if I were to see a dog running around wearing a wrist watch on its leg, I guess that would help me decide. But...
     A few years ago, Scooter (a relatives dog), was staying with us. We were told that Scooter eats his supper at 5:00. Not paying attention to the time, I walked into the kitchen about 5:30 and found Scooter staring intently at the clock on the stove. When he realized I was in the room he turned his gaze on me, then to his empty dish, then back to me, and finally back to the clock. What I heard when I looked into his eyes was, "You're late! I eat promptly at 5:00!"
     Tick tock, tick tock; can they actually tell time?  Hmm...I may have to readjust my thinking on that.

     So long, I'll see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment