Sunday, April 3, 2011

When a 'two-legger' is ill

    I had planned on writing on this topic at some point, but when I awoke this morning I knew this was the appropriate time.
    I am sure everyone reading this will agree with me when I say, none of us 'two-leggers' enjoys being sick. This morning both my partner and myself woke up with a nasty cold, flu bug. I had gotten up a few times during the night and wandered around the house. Each time I got up our dog, Whitney, stayed right in step with me, keeping a very watchful eye on me. When I crawled back into bed, before my head had even touched my pillow, she was on the bed and snuggled as close to me as she could get.
    Today, with both of her 'two-legger' companions sick, you could see she was torn between which of us she should stay by. I must say her decisions were right on about which of us needed her when. Watching a movie together on the couch, Whitney was between us, touching each of us with some part of her body at all times. At one point I dozed off and when I awoke Whitney was curled up in a little ball on my lap. Now that's loyalty! I do think though, if someone had yelled out the word 'Cheese', she would have flew off my lap and hurried to the kitchen. You have to understand, she likes cheese; that's very important stuff to her.So that one word might have distracted her from her duties--but for just a brief moment.
    I have always been amazed at our four-legger companions ability to sense when something is just not right with us: whether we're sick, emotionally upset, or just had an all around bad day.Without fail they always know when we need some extra comfort and love, and they are by our side to give us both. This is when you look into their eyes and hear, "I want to take all your hurt away, because I love you." With no hesitation our loyal dogs are willing to stay close until their 'two-legger' companion is back to normal.

    So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment