Saturday, April 16, 2011

It's Back

     This is not at all what I had planned to write about today, but how could I resist. My first look out the window this morning said it all, winter had returned. There is a lot more snow than the predicted couple of inches.
     Snow, cold wind, drifting snow. This is mid April, isn't it? I know this is Minnesota, but even by Minnesota standards this is ridiculous.
     What does a day like today do to a dogs seasonal inner clock? Spring today, take a nap and winter is back. Whether they like it or not, they know that it is what it is.
     It was out of sheer necessity that Whitney braved the elements this morning. She was out there no longer than it took her to do her business. Whitney has a very unique, quite comical walk when she steps on snow or wet grass. I call it her Princess Girlie-girl walk: slow, well thought out, light dainty steps. I'm sure her thoughts are, "If I walk lightly, I might come out of this with dry feet."  Really though, if something catches her attention that is worth barking about, she shelves her 'Princess' attitude and plods through the deepest snow in her race to the fence.
     When the snow stopped, Whitney and I took a walk up our road to the mailbox. Tire tracks through the snow had made a path, and that path was now mud. If there is something Whitney dislikes more than snow, it's mud. As soon as one paw touched the mud, she quickly opted to walk in the snow.
     Earlier in the morning our friend Tucker was out for is morning walk. Tucker walks tall and proud, very stately. I know Tucker has been anxiously awaiting his first of the season jump in the lake. I watched as he walked through the deepest snow he could find, and enjoying every second of each step. I realized he could care less about the abrupt season change. I guess he understands that this is just a temporary delay to the start of his swimming season. I need to take a lesson from you, Tuck. I need to learn to be calm and patient when these spring setbacks happen.
     News flash to our little 'Princess', when the snow melts there is going to be mud, lots and lots of it.

     So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment