Saturday, April 2, 2011

Springtime and the wood-tick

   The snow was finally beginning to melt and patches of grass were starting to peek through the melting snow, a sure sign that spring had finally arrived, right? Yesterday, though, Mother Nature played a cruel April fool's day prank on us by depositing another three inches of snow upon us. Even our dog, Whitney, was in shock when she stepped onto the deck in the morning. She gave me the look with her eyes that said, "Not again!" The new snow was gone by afternoon, but I have heard a nasty rumor that more snow may be in the works for tomorrow. Snow dancers, please make it stop. It's spring!
   As the snow does begin to melt, I'm seeing reminders of all the dog 'presents' that have been left in the yard and repeatedly buried with each snowfall. There is no avoiding it now: the cleanup job must begin.
   With spring also comes the on rush of the dreaded wood-ticks. Yuk! Even though the ticks are with us year round, spring brings the scary, creepy things out by the tens of thousands. No one warned me when we moved to this area that we had entered the 'Wood-tick and deer-tick' capital of Minnesota.
   It's been said that every living thing has a purpose, but come on now what purpose could these nasty,disease carrying ticks possibly have. If someone has an answer to that please let a fearful person, like myself, know.
   With the full blown tick season already upon us, it's time to start Whitney's tick preventive treatment. I'm truly amazed at how effective this treatment is at killing not only the ticks but also the fleas. I totally freak out when a live one occasionally falls off of her in the house. I guess living in this area it is to be expected, but that doesn't make it any easier for me to handle my fear. It's really too bad there isn't something we 'two-leggers' can drop on us for the same effect.
   After treating Whitney, she shakes her head, walks around with a disgusted look on her face for a brief time, and then comes back and sits by us. I look into her eyes and hear, "I don't know what you just did to me, but I know you must have had a good reason for doing it, so thanks Mom."
   Next week we'll have our first visit to the Vet with our girl. We'll see if that goes as easy.

      So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment