Monday, July 4, 2011

The Writing Adventure

     As I began to write my first book, 'A Puppy Called Runt', I was not sure if it would be a children's book, a book for young adult readers, or for adult readers. I decided to let the character Runt lead me where he wanted the story to go. Upon completion I felt this was a dog lover's story for all ages.
     It is an excellent chapter book for parents or teachers to read aloud to children; a good story for older children to read for themselves; and a feel good story for dog loving adults.
     Some adults have told me they read the book from a human perspective. From one woman I heard that the book brought back memories from her childhood with her siblings. Another woman said that as she read the book she wished her own mother would have shown her the same love that Runt's Mama gave to him.
     Unbeknownst to me, maybe some of my own upbringing came out as I wrote both this book and also my second book, 'A New Life for Runt'.
     Both books are about dogs, but in reality they tell so much more. Through the innocent eyes of dogs, my books remind us all, about: love, friendship, being proud of who you are, and don't judge someone by what they can or cannot do; everyone is unique in their own way, accept that.
     Runt taught me, as we embarked on our journey together, to look for the good in everyone you meet. Everyone has 'issues', and just maybe you can help them through your kindness. Also, throughout our journey, I was reminded to truly value your friendships; don't let them slip away through neglect.
     Whatever your age, if you should choose to read my books, my hope is that you truly enjoy the stories. Who knows, my adult readers, maybe they will stir some memories from your past.

     So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment