Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Busy Weekend

     Despite the fact that DJ was out of town and I was busy helping a friend at her store, Whitney managed to have a fun filled Fourth of July weekend.
     After being cooped up in the house for several hours on Saturday, I expected Whitney to be anxiously waiting at the door when I arrived home. Surprised to not find her there, I began a search of the house, calling out her name several times.
     Just as I was about to call my friend Diane I saw a note on the table from Whitney, (actually written with the help of Diane). Whitney had been bored by herself, and sensing that Tucker may be partying without her, she decided that was where she really should be. (I need to explain this about Whitney; she adores Diane. She eagerly awaits any opportunity to go to Diane's house; and for an added bonus, that just happens to be where Tucker lives.)
     When I arrived to pick up Whitney, she and Tucker had just come inside from a fun filled afternoon, and both dogs were exhausted.
     The next evening I was invited to come along with Whitney. As I drove into Diane's driveway, Whitney spotted Tucker and neighbor dog Bracken. I opened my car door and she leaped across my lap and was with the other dogs before my feet had even touched the ground.
     One of Whitney's biggest joys is running. Watching her run is like witnessing art in motion. She is extremely fast and achieves this with an effortless graceful glide.
     After dinner Whitney started her run. Tucker and Bracken stepped back and watched in awe each time she flew past them. At one point I saw, in Tucker's eyes, a flicker of remembrance of his running days.
     When the run was over, the dogs and I headed down to the dock. Tucker hopped into the lake to start his evening 'fishing'. Each time he passed by the dock he glanced up at Whitney and his eyes were saying, "Look what I can do, Whit."
     Done with his swim, Tucker joined us on the dock. Soon Bracken appeared, and Whitney was overwhelmed by two big dogs on a narrow dock. Her eyes widened in fright and she quickly bee lined to the safety of the shore.
     The mosquitoes appeared as darkness quickly approached. With darkness comes the boom of the fireworks around the lake. How will Whitney fair the evening show? Tune in next time, when the fireworks begin.

     So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment