Saturday, July 16, 2011

Friends

     This is a follow-up to Whitney's busy Fourth of July weekend. Being that DJ was out of town that weekend she missed out on seeing Tucker teach Whitney about fireworks. After reading my posting, 'The Fireworks Game', DJ commented: "That must have been soooo cool to watch. Whitney has such a good friend in Tucker. Friends are sooo important to both four-leggers and two-leggers. Aren't we lucky!!!!"
     Here is how Tucker and Whitney's friendship began:
     Christmas season 2009, Whitney had been with us for just a week when Tucker stopped by to meet the new dog of the neighborhood. Once inside our house, Tucker caught sight of the new dog and excitedly hurried toward her to make her acquaintance. Whitney, who had not socialized with other dogs very often, was frightened by the size of this approaching dog. She let out her signature scream and beelined to the safety of our bedroom. Eventually she reappeared, but kept a very cautious distance between herself and this very big dog.
     Whitney quickly realized that Tucker was gentle and had no intention of hurting her. Over time a strong bond has formed between the two.
     The one thing Tucker has not been able to convince Whitney to do is, join him in the water, and teach her to 'fish'. She will sit on the dock and watch the water splash as he fishes, and eagerly join him on shore as he rolls in the grass. But Whitney step into the water, no way!
     The friendships she has with all the neighbor dogs are important to her, and have helped her socializing skills to mature.
     As for my 'two-legger' friends, I am fortunate to still have friendships that go back to my childhood. I am fortunate to have a brother who is not only my brother, but also my friend. I am also very fortunate to have wonderful friendships that have formed in my adult life.
     Thank you all, for the beautiful friendships that have so enriched my life.
     Whitney is also sending special 'Thanks' to not only her 'four-legger' friends, but also to her very special 'two-legger' friends.
     Yes, DJ, we are very lucky, indeed!

     So long, I'll see you soon!
    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment