Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Stanley and 84

     Last Friday I drove beyond my one mile comfort zone for the first time since before my surgery. Our town is 10 miles away, and I had a few errands to do in town. I did do okay, but I know I'm not near ready to drive a long distance in heavier traffic.
     Whitney loves her ride in the car, so whenever one of us goes to town she always rides along. As we walked to the car, neighbor dog Stanley appeared and expected to join us for our little trip.
     After several tummy rubs to distract him, I told him he had to go home to Brian. As I drove down our driveway and onto our dirt road, I saw in my mirror that Stanley had not gone home, but was instead racing behind my car.
     Brian has always told me, "Just keep going and Stanley will stop when you drive onto the highway." Wrong!
     He had appeared to stop, but as I drove onto the highway I again looked in my mirror and there was Stanley running on the highway center line. His little legs were working overtime as he raced to catch up with me.
     I pulled into the first driveway I saw, got out of my car, and Stanley was nowhere in sight. I frantically searched the area, repeatedly calling out his name. After five minutes of this I began to think that maybe he had crossed the highway and went to the lake.
     I returned to my car and as soon as Stanley heard my car door he jumped out from behind the trees. I opened my door and a very exhausted Stanley jumped in.
     So I now had him safely inside my car, now the seemingly simple task of delivering him to his home. That does sound like an easy task, right. Such is not the case with Stanley. The drive home was the easy part; once there I did have to get him out of the car. You have to understand, with Stanley, you can't just open the car door and let him out. Why not, you might ask. Stanley runs, and it is impossible to catch his fast little body and then the cycle would start over again.
     After a few attempts of getting my hands on him as jumped around inside my car, I finally succeeded.
     After transferring him from my hands to the safety of Brian's, Whitney and I continued on our journey to town.
     How was Whitney's venture to town? Tune in next time to hear of the stubborn side of our little Whitney.

     So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment