Monday, July 25, 2011

Our Beloved Pets

     Pet owners will understand when I say our pets are a member of our families. The common bond all pet owners share is simple: we love our pets. It doesn't matter the species of our pet: whether it be a dog, a cat, a horse, a bird, even a goldfish; they are our pets and we love them. It's a love that non pet owners can't usually understand.
     An acquaintance of mine recently told me that one of her horses had died of old age. The pain of her loss was very evident as she fought to hold back her tears. Even though I know very little about horses, she shared her grief with me simply because she knew I would understand. Whatever species of pet you have, the pain of losing them is tremendous.
     One evening several years ago as I was driving on a busy street, a small dog suddenly darted in front of my car. It happened so fast that I had no chance to avoid hitting it. Ignoring the honking cars behind me, I parked my car and hurried to check on the injured dog; immediately realizing the poor little dog had died.
      I was sobbing uncontrollably, as I pulled into a nearby restaurant and called the police. I was asked if the dog was alive, and when I replied, "No", I was told that they would get to it when they could. Upon hearing this uncaring response, I was unable to compose myself.
     As I sat and sobbed, a friend entered the restaurant. When I was able to say what I had done, his response was, "Calm down, it was just a dog. At least it wasn't a person."
     Believe me I was thankful that it was not a person. But as I looked at my friend I said, "I just took the life of a dog, someone's beloved pet. Someone will be waiting for a pet that will never be coming home."
     Not knowing who the dog's owners were, I was never able to tell them how very sorry I was.
     I know it's a dog's instinct to run, but please, little dogs and big dogs, listen to me: stay home, where you are loved. Accidents happen so quickly, and not one of us 'two-leggers' wants something to happen to you.

     So long, I'll see you soon!
    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment