Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Vision Update

     I just wanted to give my readers an update on how my recovery is going after my eye surgery. It was six weeks ago today that I had my surgery. I saw the surgeon last week and I was told that things are progressing, as they should. Considering the extent of the repair work that was done and the size of the bubble that was inserted in my eye, the recovery is a very slow process.
     The bubble is still there, but is decreasing in size. So now I watch a dark circle bouncing and rolling around in my eye. Annoying, yes, but fortunately the bubble has done its job of keeping my retina attached.
     I cannot sleep on my back until the bubble is completely gone. Since I am a side sleeper, I never thought this would be an issue. Boy was I wrong on that. Hourly I was waking up laying flat on my back. Nothing I tried would prevent me from rolling onto my back, until.....our friend, Steve, came up with the brilliant idea of attaching a golf ball to my back. Amazingly it worked; it woke me up every time I started to roll. Although, I did have to advance to a tennis ball for the simple reason that my back began to ignore the small golf ball. I am now anxiously awaiting my first night of sleeping through the whole night without being awoken by a tennis ball.
     Night vision is gone in that eye, so I now have a flashlight next to my bed for my night time roaming after being rudely awoken by a tennis ball. And our black dog, Whitney, has learned to stay clear of me during these wanderings.
     As for my driving, I still have not driven any further than a mile. Since I can only basically see from the one eye, any long distance driving is out of the question for the time being.
     Back to the surgeon in mid August, and she'll determine when I may be able to get corrective lenses.
     Today's posting is just to let my friends know how I'm doing. So don't worry, the 'four-leggers' will be back tomorrow. Until then....

     So long, I'll see you soon!

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment