Friday, May 13, 2011

Whitney Comes Home

     Whitney entered our lives rather unexpectedly. DJ and I had been 'dogless' for six years, (well not entirely 'dogless'). After meeting Tucker, we were fortunate to be able to spend as much time with him as we wanted. There were also other dogs that we 'doggie sat' while their owners were away. We even fostered a dog for a couple of weeks. On all these occasions we were able to get our 'dog fix'. So, as you can see, there was always a dog close by
     After the loss of our beloved George in 2003, neither of us wanted to go through that pain ever again. Eventually though, DJ reached a point where she was ready to bring a dog of our own into our home. I on the other hand was still reluctant. Finally I agreed, but insisted I needed a small lap dog that I could snuggle up with.
     Whitney was a miniature poodle that we had doggie sat a few times. Whitney grew up in a home with a toy poodle named Ebony. For the most part the dogs got along with one another, but apparently there sharing issues between the two and minor fights would occur.
     The owners of the dogs eventually decided it would be best if each dog were in a one dog household. We were asked if we would take Whitney on a trial basis. In December of 2009, four and a half year old Whitney came into our home and our hearts.
     Whitney was taken from the only home she had ever known and placed in a totally new environment. It was totally understandable that she would have some adjustment issues.
     Eating was the first issue we encountered. We had been told she wasn't a big eater, but for the first few days she would not eat a thing. Little by little we overcame that issue.
     Whitney is black, with very dark eyes and at times it is difficult to even see her eyes. When I did look into her eyes I saw a deep sadness. As much as she and Ebony annoyed each other, we determined she missed her companion.
     As much as I tried, it seemed she wanted very little to do with me. The lap dog I had wanted just wasn't happening. She had accepted DJ as the alpha and DJ was who she wanted by her side at all times. Oh she would make quick trips to my lap and share a few kisses, but then she was quickly back to DJ's lap. I had my doubts that this arrangement would work. But I loved the little girl and I was determined to make it work.
     As if sensing my emotions I began to see a change in her. One night she climbed onto my lap and as she looked into my eyes, I heard, "You're okay, Mama Dar. I'm sorry it took me so long." She snuggled up with me and we bonded forever.
     From that moment on, when I look into her eyes all I see is happiness. She determined in her own time that being the only dog and receiving all the attention was the best thing ever.
     We two-leggers know how difficult a drastic change can be, so imagine how difficult it must be in the mind of a four-legger.
     Whitney, you are an unexpected treasure.
     Thank you for coming into our home

     So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment