Monday, May 9, 2011

Meet My Friend, Tripp

     I'm back and hopefully on the mend. I didn't need to be in the hospital after all; my surgery was done as an outpatient. There is supposed to be a good success rate for this type of surgery, so I am hoping that is true in my case. So enough about me, let's get to today's posting.
     In my second book, 'A New Life For Runt', most of the new characters were taken from past experiences with dogs I have known over the years. After my son read the draft of the book he asked, "I know who most of the new dogs are based on, but whose dog was Tripp?"
     Actually Tripp, like Runt, came to life in my head as I was writing. I imagine there are dogs in the world like him, but I have never had the pleasure of meeting one. (Although I do have a dog currently in my life that does have a few of Tripp's characteristics.) He was such a joy to create that I just had to give him an important role in the book. (To those of you who enjoyed meeting him, I'm sure you've figured out that he will be in all future books.)
     Tripp has ADD issues and along with that he is also a bit of a neat freak. I have to admit there are bits of myself in Tripp, and for that reason his creation came quite easily.
     His 'issues' make him a truly lovable and endearing character. While his friends are very often confused by his actions, every thing makes perfect sense to himself. He constantly changes his thoughts from one subject to another, often in mid sentence.
     When Runt first meets Tripp, he finds Tripp to be a very confusing fellow. Despite these 'issues', the two become instant friends. As always, Runt's loyalty to his new best friend shines through. Runt accepts Tripp for who he is, his friend.
     Don't expect Tripp to dirty his hands, (I guess I should say paws in this case), and partake in any mischevious activities that involve the slightest chance that he may get dirty. He will watch and offer advice, but get dirty; not a chance.  At times like this, Runt may get irritated with Tripp, but because of their strong bond with one another that irritation quickly disappears.
     Both Runt and Tripp remind us two-leggers of the importance of friendships and standing by your friend through good times and bad times.

     So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment