Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Eye Again

     I am so sorry it has been so long between postings. The torn retina in my eye that was treated with laser a few weeks ago, decided to detach last week. I was immediately sent to Minneapolis to have emergency eye surgery. Because of the type of eye surgery needed, I was required to have my head facing down for five days. (A very uncomfortable position to remain in for that long.)
     With this type of surgery a gas bubble is placed inside the eye and dissolves in about six weeks. While the bubble is in place I am only able to distinguish some shapes out of that eye. I have been told my vision should return in several weeks. It may not return to where it was, but at least I will be able to see.
(On a humorous note, DJ told me she is going to start calling me 'Bubble head'.)
     Because of the urgency of our unplanned trip to the cities, we had to call upon our dear friend's, Diane and Steve, to take care of the dogs. Yes, I said dogs. We are dog sitting DJ's sister's dog, Sophie, for a few weeks.
     The many times Whitney has stayed with Diane and Steve, I know she is treated like royalty. (She even has her own special chair there, that they call 'Whitney's throne'.)
     Even though Sophie was an extra dog thrown into the mix, I know she was given the same loving kindness that Whitney always receives. We are deeply grateful for all your help through this ordeal.
     Since my head had to remain in that position, neither Whitney or Sophie could be on my lap. When I looked into their eyes, I could see this was something that confused and upset both dogs. Even though they both sensed something was wrong with me, they still craved the usual attention I always gave them.
     When Diane stopped by to check on me, Whitney and Sophie greeted her with such excitement, as if they were saying, "Hi Diane. What fun stuff do you have planned for us today?"
     Our vision is a precious gift that we take for granted. Even under the careful watch of my eye doctor, I came dangerously close to losing this gift forever.
     So my friends, if you notice changes in your vision, see an eye professional immediately. Take care of this precious gift.


     So long, I'll see you soon!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment