Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Just One Taste, Please

     Remember the hungry four-leggers I talked about in my last posting? Well, there back and as hungry as ever.
Hey, we're hungry down here!
     Size doesn't matter in the least at begging time. Big dogs, little dogs, they all want a taste of what we two-leggers are eating. Whether they get a whiff of what we have or not, if they see us put something in our mouth, their attention peeks.
Just one taste, please.
     Sharing is what it's all about. After all we do teach our dogs, early on, about sharing: to get along with your fellow four-leggers you have to learn the importance of sharing. But they need to understand that their two-legger companions were teaching them about sharing space, toys, attention, and treats at treat time. Not our food at meal time.
     Are they really that hungry or is it just a curiosity? Only the four-legger world holds the answer to that.
     Most dogs will eat just about anything. They especially want a taste of what their owner is obviously enjoying.
     Surprisingly I did find a food that my dog, Tammy, would not eat. It wasn't just this particular dog, our next dog, Missy, disliked the same food. What was this unlikeable food? Lutefisk! (Probably not surprising to some of you, including myself.)
     Being of Norwegian descent, our Christmas Eve traditional meal was Lutefisk. The rule for all of the kids was, whether you liked it or not, you had to eat some. Some, meaning more than just a swallow. I was one who who didn't like it, and always being the stubborn one, I would refuse to eat it.
     The bribe to get us to eat it? No opening your presents until your plate was clean.
     Every year it always ended up the same: one of my cousins and myself sitting alone at the table, listening to the fun going on in another room. Eventually my cousin would give in and quickly eat his Lutefisk, then hurry out of the room.
     That left me all alone, staring at my Lutefisk. Although, I wasn't entirely alone; my begging Tammy was in position underneath the table. As I looked into her pleading eyes, the brilliant idea occurred to me: Give it to Tammy, she'll eat it. Boy was I wrong on that. She eagerly took one taste and immediately spit it to the floor. She gave her head a shake and left the room. Now, I was truly alone.
     Each Christmas the same scenario would occur. Tammy never acquired a taste for it, (and that wasn't for my lack of trying).
     After Tammy was gone, Missy entered our home. Now Missy would eat any and everything. So logically, at Christmas, she would eat my Lutefisk.Right? I was wrong again. Just like Tammy before her, Missy left me sitting alone at the table.
     To this day I still do not eat Lutefisk. So, Whitney don't worry, you're safe!

     So long, I'll see you soon!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment