Sunday, May 22, 2011

To Beg or Not To Beg

     I know it's unacceptable behavior to let your dog beg at the table during mealtime. I'm an adult, so I understand that. Right? But when you look into those pleading eyes looking up at you, sometimes it's a little hard to resist. I have to admit I'm a sucker for those dark pleading eyes; after all what's one little bite going to hurt. Honestly, I really do try my best to resist.
Just a taste, please
     When Whitney came into our home, that was one rule DJ had said we would enforce; and I did firmly follow that rule. Ah-hem, who was the first to break this rule? DJ, not me.
     The first time I actually caught DJ slipping Whitney a bite, I very quickly realized this wasn't the first time. Surprisingly, since I'm the sucker for that 'look', I have not broken this rule.
     Remember now, I did say from the table. We generally eat our dinner on TV trays, on the couch in the family room, so technically we are not 'at the table'. Whitney gets in position between us and the eyes are much harder to resist. So in all fairness to DJ, I do admit that Whitney does get a taste now and then from me.
     Tucker's owners are strict enforcers of this rule. Whenever Tucker is at our house we respect that, and neither dog is allowed near the table or our TV trays.
     When I was a child we had the same rule at our table: No feeding the dog at the table. But as I said, I was a kid and kids aren't always the best listeners.
     Whenever there was an opening, when I thought I wouldn't get caught, I would sneak a bite under the table to my dog's eagerly awaiting mouth. And yes, my brother would do the same. Between the two of us our dog was fed a pretty good meal.
     Oh, we would usually get caught and promise not to do it again. When the next opportunity arose, my brother and I had already forgotten that promise.
     Funny thing is, there were times, out of the corner of my eye, I would see Mom's hand sneak under the table.  Hmm... gee I wonder what she was doing. My brother and I would look at each other and giggle, but we never said a word.
     At times, it seems that dogs have a never ending appetite. For that reason, this merits being a two part posting. So dogs out there; No begging, while you patiently wait for part two.

     So long, I'll see you soon.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment