Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sophie Returns for a Day

     After spending three weeks with us, Sophie returned to her home last week. Apparently she is prone to car sickness on long rides. With a two hour ride ahead for her, I was instructed not to feed the always hungry girl her breakfast. It was hard to ignore those big brown eyes as she looked up at me and asked, "I'm hungry! Can you please feed me?"
     Whitney and Sophie went outside as DJ packed the truck for their journey. Within seconds Stanley appeared at the gate. As the three dogs played, Sophie's thoughts of food quickly disappeared.
     Sophie survived the journey home without incident. Happy to be free from the truck, she excitedly greeted her family. That done, she went about the important business of seeing what animals may have passed through her yard while it was unprotected during her absence.
     Five days later Sophie, along with her owners, came for a visit. After Sophie and Whitney greeted each other, Sophie did the all important 'sniff through' of every inch of our house. Satisfied nothing had changed since she left, she sat down, wagged her tail, and waited for a treat.
     Sensing that Sophie had returned, a soaking wet Stanley was soon jumping at the door. I could clearly hear as I looked into his eyes, "Let me in! Let me in! I know she's back."
      An impatient Stanley waited as I wiped his wet body. Dried off and inside, playtime had officially begun. Even though the dogs are all small, three dogs barking and running throughout the house became a little too much for us 'two-leggers'.  When the rain stopped, it was clearly time to move the dogs outdoors.
     The three weeks Sophie had spent with us, Whitney ate her meals the same time as Sophie. After Sophie had left, the competition was gone and Whitney quickly fell back into her habit of eating only when she felt the urge. However with Sophie's reappearance, Whitney quickly remembered the importance of eating when the food is set in front of you.
     Eat it now or lose it to another hungry mouth.

     So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment