Thursday, June 16, 2011

Here, Kitty Kitty

     Remember the cat from my last posting? Can I lure her in? Read on and find the answer...
     Early the next morning I saw the cat by our garage. She watched intently as I set a dish of food on our deck. Whether it was curiosity or just plain hunger, the cat slowly approached the deck.
     "Here, Kitty Kitty," I said as I held a treat in my hand, coaxing her closer. She moved in just close enough to gently take the treat from my outstretched hand. I then slowly moved up the steps, and to my surprise the cat was right behind me. One whiff of the dish and she quickly gobbled up all the food.
     After all this time she finally trusted me. She purred as she rubbed her body against my leg and in a instant she was on my lap. Holding her I realized how young and very skinny this kitty was. Knowing how afraid she had been all summer, I was surprised how she now craved human contact.
     She stayed around throughout the morning and disappeared in the afternoon. In the evening she reappeared, hungry and cold. I fed her and made a warm bed for her, sheltering her from the cold wind. At sunrise I found her sleeping soundly in her bed.
     This routine continued for several days. Even when I couldn't see her, I knew she was always close by. All I had to say was, "Here, Kitty Kitty," and she would quickly appear.
     In the best interest for the cat, I thought it best to take her to an animal shelter that would deal with any health issues she may have and would then find her a suitable home.
     I heard somewhere that cats generally don't ride well in cars. This was not a good thing when we had a 45 minute car ride ahead of us. I fixed up a small carrier to transport her in my SUV. As she meowed and scolded me on our drive, I continuously talked to her in an attempt to keep her calm.
     About halfway into our trip she was suddenly very quiet. I looked in my mirror and there she sat on the top of the back seat, watching me. I was now afraid that an angry cat would leap at me at any second. But to my surprise she sat in that spot the rest of the trip, totally enjoying the scenery.
     Leaving her at the shelter was more difficult for me than I had expected. Fortunately, because of her young age, the shelter assured me she would be easy to place in a good home.
     They say cats have nine lives; so Kitty Kitty enjoy your 'lives' in the comfort of your new home.

     So long, I'll see you soon!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment