Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Baby Bird Flutters In

     In my posting of 6-19-11 I wrote of the Bluebird our Whitney rescued from the wood stove. After the bird was rescued, it flew back to its nest. Having seen no activity near the nest for a couple of days, DJ got close enough to the nest to see that the babies were gone.
     Early Sunday morning, DJ and I were sitting on our deck, enjoying our morning coffee. Whitney was curled up on the cushion of another chair, keeping watch over her domain.
     As we sat, enjoying the peaceful morning, a very young bird fluttered in and perched on a cushion, a mere two feet away from Whitney. Whitney and the bird calmly watched each other.
     Eventually the bird hopped up onto the arm of the chair, bringing itself even closer to Whitney. DJ and I were both afraid Whitney would snatch the bird from its perch. Instead, the two continued to calmly observe each other.
      As Whitney peacefully watched the bird, I swear I saw her give a quick nod of her head. After a short time the bird fluttered out the doorway it had entered in.
     We quickly determined this bird was one of the young bluebirds from the nest. I have always believed that dogs communicate with one another, and with us 'two-leggers'. After watching the calm interaction between Whitney and the bluebird, I am further convinced that dogs are capable of communicating with other species just as easily.   
     Being just a bite away from Whitney, the bird showed absolutely no fear of her as they eyed each other. The bird had fluttered in to simply say, "Thank you" for saving its father. Whitney's calm nod of her head was her response of, "Your welcome."
     An observation such as this, is just a reminder to keep your eyes open and always be aware. A moment like this happens so quickly, it could easily pass unnoticed.
     Coincidence? Imagination? Neither; my eyes were open and I was truly attune to the amazing encounter that had just occurred.
     You, too, can witness such things, just believe.
    
     So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment