Friday, October 28, 2011

Tucker Inspires Me

     After Tucker’s attentive guard watch was done the previous night, he enjoyed an undisturbed, restful night of sleep. Once the dogs and I were up and moving the next morning, Tucker let me know it was time for his daily walk.
     Maybe because of life’s circumstances or maybe just plain laziness, I’ve done very little exercise walking for the last year. Recently, the only walks I’ve taken are when Tucker stays with us. Whitney and I did attempt to get back into a walking routine earlier this summer, but each attempt was brought to an abrupt end after being bombarded by deerflies.
     So, on the morning following his guard watch, Tucker followed me very closely as I got my jacket and shoes ready. I’m sure his close attention was his way verifying that I understood what he wanted to do. Tucker has a unique way of showing his excitement and or impatience: he sits down and actually prances with his front paws. He immediately started this routine as I sat to put my shoes on. I do believe that this time it was impatience that prompted his movements. When I looked into his eyes I heard, “I’m ready, so will you please hurry!”
     When all was ready the three of us stepped onto the deck. Tucker and I hurried down to the gate, only to find Whitney stubbornly standing on the deck. Her stance told me that she had no intention of joining us. Eventually, after some coaxing and using the ‘treat’ word, she slowly crept down the steps and through the open gate. After she joined us in the driveway, she looked up into the air and then to each side of her as she took a few apprehensive steps. By the look in her eyes I’m sure she expected to be swarmed by the deerflies of her memory. Sensing no deerfly attack, she happily joined Tucker and me on our journey.
     I need to tell you that when Whitney runs, she gracefully glides through the air, using the ground as her launching pad. In just seconds she flew past both Tucker and myself. For a brief moment Tucker’s thoughts were of catching up to her, but after a short trot he knew it would be useless to try.
     Whitney graciously stopped on the road ahead and waited for Tucker to catch up with her. At that time the two four-leggers spent quality time sniffing along in the grass together. Soon though, Whitney was flying again, sailing further up the road. After doing an abrupt stop she would turn around and fly past Tucker and I, only to stop and fly up the road again. With each ‘flyby’ she did, she would stop on the road ahead and patiently give Tucker another chance to catch up with her.
     For the next two mornings, Stanley eagerly joined our procession up the road. Stanley’s boundless energy is good entertainment on any occasion, and our walks were no exception. Whitney and Stanley had me laughing as they ran and played together while we all headed up the road. Even though Tucker was unable to keep up with their fast pace, I knew that he too, was enjoying the entertainment they were providing. I’m convinced I even heard a few chuckles from Tucker as the two flew past us.
     Our walks were physically and mentally refreshing for me. But the truly best part was being in the company of such wonderful four-legger companions.
     Thank you, Tucker for giving me the motivation I needed to get out and get my feet moving. Your enthusiasm for walking is infectious. Hmm…now, if I can only keep up this routine without Tucker here to urge me on.

     So long, I’ll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment