Monday, October 17, 2011

She's Back


     In my posting of June 5th, I introduced my readers to Sophie. Well, she’s back with us again and has been our guest for the past two weeks. She is truly an absolute joy to take care of.
     Sophie’s greatest joys seem to be eating and playingin that exact order. She seems to have an insatiable appetite, and I truly believe if given the option she could eat all day long. Her preferred meal times are still 7 AM and 5 PMand please don’t go too far past those times.
     The other morning I was just beginning to wake up when I heard the patter of fast moving feet enter my bedroom. Before I had a chance to move, I heard a soft howling moan near the side of my bed. I peered over the edge of the bed and there was Sophiesitting up, wiggling her raised paws, and doing her soft howling moan. I crawled out of bed and she began doing a happy dance around my legs. I looked down into her eyes and heard, “You need to get up now. It’s past my feeding time and I’m starving.”
     Believing that I had overslept and it was way past her meal time, I hurried into the kitchen. As I was preparing her food and Whitney’s, I glanced at the clock to see how late I actually was. Thinking my sleepy eyes had misread the clock, I did a second look at the clock. I had seen it correctly on my first glancethe time was only 7:05.
     I had been using a green plastic bowl for Sophie’s food and generally around 4 PM she begins carrying the bowl throughout the house. (After her many visits with us, the bowl now has many chew marks in it.) Yesterday, when I arrived home it was past feeding time and I was greeted at the door by a ‘starving’ Sophie. Knowing that I had better feed her quickly, I reached for the green bowlit was gone.
     After doing an extensive search throughout the house with no luck, I decided Sophie had tired of the chew marked bowl and found a secret spot to dispose of it. To keep from another disappearing bowl, she is now eating from a heavy bowl that will be impossible for her to move from room to room.
     Saturday DJ and I needed to be gone for the day and our good friend Diane brought the ‘girls’ to her house to spend the day with Tucker. Towards evening Diane went downstairs to feed Tucker, while Whitney and Sophie waited upstairs. Upon hearing the sound of Tucker’s food pouring into his dish, Sophie bolted down the stairs.
     Looking into Sophie’s pleading eyes, Diane prepared two extra bowls of foodone for Sophie and one for Whitney. As usual, Sophie gobbled up her food very quickly. Whitney, on the other hand, just took a couple of bites and walked away. Not wanting to let any food go to waste, Sophie quickly stepped in and cleaned out Whitney’s bowl.
     A meal that ended as Whitney’s loss, Sophie eagerly turned into her gainprobably literally.
     Tune in next time to see how the rest of that evening went.

     So long, I’ll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment