Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Conversation Between Friends

      As I ended my posting of October 6th, it was now Whitney’s turn to be shuffled off to spend the day at Tucker’s house. If she can’t be with us, there is no place finer than spending time at Tucker’s abode.
      A great portion of Whitney’s day was spent lounging on the dock, overseeing Tucker’s fishing activities, whereas, my day was spent with an eye surgeon discussing the next plan for my eye. (Just a quick eye update: I will be having another surgery on my eye on Halloween. No guarantee on how much of my vision I will regain, but hopefully I’ll get some improvement.)
       So, enough about me, let’s get back to what this blog is all aboutthe dogs.
       When I arrived that afternoon to reclaim Whitney, Diane was relaxing on the dock with a good book. The four-leggers were busy tending to their respective tasks: Tucker was doing his ‘fish patrol’; Bracken was on bird duty; Whitney was tending to her important dock duties.
        I settled in on the dock bench with Diane. As I watched the three dogs, I put my imagination to work and pictured what they might be communicating to each other. What follows is my imagination at work.
        Bracken: “Well, will you look at that.”
        Tucker: “Look at what?”
        Bracken: “That bird out there on the water.”
        Tucker: “My eyes aren’t what they use to be, so give me a hint where to look.”
        Whitney: “Yeah, where, where? I’ve got good eyes, but I can’t see a bird out there.”
        Bracken: “Straight out from my nose, about midway across the lake.”
        Tucker: “Nope, I still can’t see it.”
        Whitney: “How do you expect us to line this bird up with your nose, when you keep pacing back and forth?”
        Bracken grins and says, “Okay, you’ve both got five seconds to line up my nose to the bird, after that I begin pacing again.”
        Tucker: “By golly, I see it now. How about you, Whit?”
        Whitney: “Remember, I’m short and I can’t see around you two big guys.”
        Tucker: “Move up here next to me.”
        Whitney: “Do you promise not to bump me into the water?”
        Tucker: “Promise.”
        Whitney cautiously moves forward as Tucker aims his eyes at the bird.
        Whitney: “That tiny little speck way out there is a bird?”
        Tucker: “Tiny and too far away. I’m going back to my fishing. Care to join me?”
        Whitney: “That would be a big NO! I’ll stay safe and dry up here with Diane.”
        Bracken: “Don’t either of you want to watch for birds?”
        Tucker: “Sorry, Brack, but fishing is my game.”
        Whitney: “After a brief walk on shore, I’ll be lounging on the dock.”

     And so goes my imagined conversation amongst the three four-leggers.

     So long, I’ll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment