Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tucker is Here

     We have a very special guest staying with us for a week: neighbor dog Tucker. It is always a joy for us when the opportunity arises that we can dog sit him. He is so well behaved, that it's really no different from having a two-legger guest.
     Unfortunately, for Tucker, he does have some old age issues: diminished hearing, arthritis, and he gets tired out quicker than he use to. (Hmm...sounds a lot like us two-leggers, doesn't it.)
     Also, because of his size, he is always warm, whether it is summer or winter. The hot weather of summer is obviously a more difficult time for him.
     Yesterday afternoon I drove Tucker and Whitney to his home for a nice cool swim in the lake. After some romping in the yard, Tucker trotted into the water and Whitney went to her observation spot on the dock.
     Tucker quickly went about his 'fishing', while Whitney attempted to fight off the pesky deer flies that were hovering around her, and myself.
     There were several people and one dog splashing in the water at the neighbor's cabin. On Tucker's second dip in the lake he decided he should swim over for a visit. About halfway there he apparently decided it wasn't worth the effort and soon joined Whitney and me on the dock.
     Dried off and ready to return to our house, Whitney jumped in the front seat of my car, while I helped Tucker into the back seat. As I drove up our gravel road, guess who suddenly appeared from the side of the road? None other than neighbor dog Stanley. As I pulled to a stop, Stanley sat below my door. I looked into his eyes and heard, "Could you please give me a ride, Auntie Dar." After leaving with two dogs, I returned with three.
     I feel very fortunate to have all of these dogs in my life. For me, dogs have a very calming effect, on what is sometimes a very stressful life.

     So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment