Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Six Watching Eyes

     Saturday morning, Tucker, Whitney, and I were sitting on our deck as I sipped my first cup of coffee. I stepped into the house for a few moments while Tucker and Whitney snoozed. When I returned there were three sets of eyes staring through the screen at me.
     Tucker was seated two feet from the doorway. Seated below Tucker, with noses a mere inch from the screen, were Whitney and Stanley. All six eyes were intently watching my every move as I approached the door. I had to chuckle at the sight of Tucker's body towering over those two little squirts. It would have made a great photo. (Note to self: a camera should be close at hand at all times!)
     The moment was gone as soon as I slid the door open. Stanley immediately began bouncing up and down, clearly announcing his presence. I looked into his eyes and heard, "I'm here, I'm here!" The Pointer Sisters song, 'I'm So Excited' was instantly playing in my head as I watched this bouncing ball of energy.
     Ignoring his bouncing body, Tucker and Whitney skirted around Stanley and went directly to their dishes. Suddenly realizing that there was food to be had, Stanley stopped his bouncing and hurried to the feeding area.
     Being the smallest of the three, Stanley impatiently waited as Tucker and Whitney went about their eating; hoping that there would be some food left in at least one of the dishes. When Tucker stepped back from his bowl, Stanley looked on in shock as Whitney moved the few steps to Tucker's now available dish. He quickly realized that Whitney's dish was now unattended, and eagerly moved in. In just a few short minutes all three dogs were satisfied.
     Later in the afternoon it was obvious the dogs were ready for a nap. Suddenly that seemed pretty appealing to me, too. I stretched out on the recliner, with Tucker lying at my feet, Whitney by my side, and Stanley curled up on my lap. A good long nap was had by all.
     Too bad no one was around to get a picture of that. Hmm...Actually that's probably a good thing; now there is no visible proof that I was sloughing off and I know for certain the dogs won't tell.

     So long, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment