Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Lure of an Amazing Pillow

     Two-leggers are taught at a young age the comfort of a pillow. For the sleeping comfort of our four-legger companions, we train them to sleep, not on our pillow, but in their own bed. However, when given an opportunity, these same four-leggers will sneak a snooze on a human pillow whenever possible. What is it that lures them to our amazing pillow?
     To sleep comfortably, a two-legger, generally needs a bed and of course a pillow to rest one’s head. However, our dogs are able to sleep quite soundly in a spot that looks downright uncomfortable to a human. But when they sense an unattended pillow they will quickly give up their sleeping spot for a chance to lay their head on that pillow.
     I have witnessed the lure of the pillow with every dog I have owned. As a young girl I willingly shared my bed with my dog, Missy. To assure that she would get a fair share of my pillow, she would hurry to the bedroom ahead of me. As we shared my pillow, the only issue I encountered was her loud snoring. Hmm… looking back now, maybe that was a ploy to force me to move aside and give her the entire pillow. 
     Our current dog, Whitney, is no exception to the lure of the pillow. She loves the pillow and somehow knows that is where her head should be. Each night I come to bed, I find her sleeping like a little princess―her head on my pillow. Does she willingly give up my pillow? No way! I look into her eyes and hear, “Are you crazy? I was here first, so find another pillow for yourself.” 
     It doesn’t matter if we are home with her or if she is alone, she can’t seem to ignore an unattended pillow. As innocent as she may appear, if she is home alone there is no denying where she has spent her time―the imprint of her head on my pillow tells it all.
     Recently, ‘cousin’ Sophie spent some time with us. On her first night as our guest, she claimed our extra bedroom as her sleeping quarters. The whole bed was her domain, but her place of choice―each and every night―was one or both of the pillows.
     Now we move on to neighbor dog, Stanley. Stanley is not allowed on the human bed at his house. However, at our house he finds the lure of the pillow irresistible. Whenever he and Whitney take a break from one another, he disappears down the hallway, with just one destination in mind―my pillow. On sleepover nights, after a playful dispute as to which one gets my pillow, they come to an agreement to share the pillow. When I come to bed it can be a struggle to get the sleeping pair to give up my pillow.
     So not having been taught the luxury of a pillow, how is it our four-legger companions understand the use of a pillow? Is it from observing how a human uses a pillow? Or is it simply our scent that lures them? Whatever their reason, I find it truly adorable.

     So long, I’ll see you soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment